PNR Status – All That You Need To Know
What is PNR?
When you book a train ticket anywhere in the country, you need to give in details such as name, location, origin and destination of journey and other details. PNR, which is an acronym for Passenger Name Record, is a number that holds all these details of your current railway ticket. In other words, this ten digit code is the identity of your train ticket.
Every ticket has a unique PNR number. It is the number that tells you about the current status of ticket booking. So, if you want to know if your seat or birth on the train is confirmed, you only have to enter the number in relevant sites or text the number to relevant helpline and you immediately get to know the current status. The status of seat confirmation is continuously updated by Indian Railways and so, you get the latest information. If your ticket is confirmed, you can also know the berth or seat allotted to you and the coach number through PNR enquiry. It saves you the trouble of checking reservation charts on railway platforms.
How to know PNR status?
One of the best sources is the official IRTCT website. There is a special icon named ‘PNR status’. Click on the icon and once the page opens, type in the digits in the allotted box. When you submit the number, the website gives you the current status. In addition to this, the other ways in which you can know the PNR status of your train ticket are listed below.
- 139 is the number that you should call if you need to verify your PNR status. This helpline provides IVRS service. You can type the PNR number in your telephone and get its latest status. You can also type ‘PNR’ followed by the number and text it to 139 through your mobile phone.
- IRCTC mobile phone app is available for free download from the internet. You can download this app in your phone and use it to get PNR status
- There are four numbers that you can use for texting from your mobile phone for latest updates – 139, 58888, 5676747 and 9773300000. Among the four, only the last one is toll free. It is a service provided by Google. You have to pay the premium charges for the other numbers
- You can sign up for mobile alerts on PNR status by contacting the customer care of your mobile phone network provider
- If you stay in one of the four metros, you can dial 139 followed by the 10 digit PNR number for latest status
- The websites that will give you the latest PNR status are Railways, rediff and cleartrip. Most of the other websites direct you to the official website of Indian Railways
The availability of PNR service has made it very easy for passengers to know the status of their ticket. The enquiry is easily accessible through automated answering service from several sources, which saves a lot of time. Also, you can check your PNR any time of the day or night. Since PNR enquiry is mobile phone friendly, you can very effectively check on it from anywhere without needing a computer.